Our Mission Statement
‘Working together, growing together, for all to flourish.’
St Mary’s Mission Statement
As a school community, we are committed to nurturing and supporting aspirational and courageous individuals who live and work well with each other. Together, we share the vision of the importance of responsibility for each other. We foster positive relationships between ourselves, humanity and the planet as created by God.
Our vision ensures that we provide a safe, happy and welcoming learning environment based on Christian principles, where we care for each other, grow and thrive together, follow our dreams and aspire for excellence in all that we do.
Individuals are given opportunities to recognise their self-worth and use their sense of belief and personal pride to allow them to achieve whatever they set their mind to. Learners are encouraged to use self-reflection and recognise their own successes as well as the achievements of others. Learners understand that they can accomplish their potential when working collaboratively with others. Our whole school community works together to inspire our family of learners to flourish academically, socially, mentally, emotionally, and spiritually.
“Aiming Higher, Achieving More, Together”
Our Associated Values
Friendship, Justice, Courage, Perseverance and Compassion
Supporting us to achieve our vision are our key Christian Values of Friendship, Perseverance, Justice, Compassion and Courage which lie at the heart of everything we do, collectively and alongside
the United Schools Federation (USF).
Each one contributes towards achieving our vision:
- Friendships support us during our learning and our play allowing us to work as a team to achieve the dreams we set for ourselves. Individuals are encouraged to ‘Love thy neighbour’ within the the school community and the village of Brixton itself.
- Learners need to persevere in order to achieve the dreams they set for themselves as they aim high within their school life. This will support them in achieving more. We foster children’s individuality and strive to reach high standards for all.
- Doing the right thing and treating everyone equally ensures our school environment is a safe and nurturing place, enabling all learners to believe in themselves and achieve. These elements of justice are embedded throughout the classroom, outdoors and within the wider community.
- Compassion encourages children to respect and care for themselves, each other and the environment. This ‘togetherness’ allows everyone to achieve their dreams through the support of others. All individuals have a voice and know that their views and opinions are valued.
- Having aspirational dreams as learners takes courage in order to believe they can achieve them. Staff foster a love and enjoyment of learning, ensuring children are more willing to break barriers and have the confidence to achieve. They are given support to question and search for answers. They provide a supportive, stimulating but challenging environment to enable all children to fulfill their potential.
Our distinctly Christian values make a positive difference to those around us and underpin our teaching and learning and daily life of the school and ethos of the USF. They are demonstrated through our collective worship, prayer, reflections and within many curriculum opportunities. We encourage full expression of children’s spiritual, moral and emotional growth, all set within a strong foundation of Christian practice. We recognise that in the modern world there are a variety of faiths and as a Christian school we actively support all learners from all backgrounds of faith or none. Our RE teaching is two thirds Christianity, this ensures all learners respect and tolerate the different beliefs and opinions of others.