At St Mary’s we line our school vision with the Dioceses. We believe that each learner is uniquely created by God and special to him and should be supported to flourish in their potential as a child of God. This vision is supported through our school motto “Dream, Believe, Achieve.” Our school is a safe and happy place, based on Christian principles, where we care for each other, grow together and follow our dreams. Individuals are given opportunities to recognize their self-worth and use their sense of belief to allow them to achieve whatever they set their mind to. Learners are encouraged ‘dream and believe’ through self-reflection and recognise achievements in themselves and others. This motto feeds into the wider community of the Federation and Brixton itself through the shared statement of “Aiming Higher… Achieving More… Together”. Learners understand that they can accomplish their potential when working collaboratively in many different contexts. The ‘togetherness’ of staff across the school and Federation supports the achievement and outcomes within all areas of school life; providing more opportunities for every learner.
Supporting us to achieve our vision are our key Christian Values of Friendship, Perseverance, Justice, Compassion and Courage which lie at the heart of everything we do, collectively and alongside the USF. Each one contributes towards achieving our motto:
- Friendships support us during our learning and our play allowing us to work as a team to achieve dreams we set for ourselves. Individuals are encouraged to ‘Love thy neighbour’ within the community of school and Brixton itself.
- Learners need to persevere in order to achieve the dreams they set for themselves as they aim high within their school life, this will support them to achieve more. We foster children’s individuality and strive to reach high standards for all.
- Doing the right thing and treating everyone equally ensures our school environment is a safe and nurturing place, enabling all learners to believe in themselves and achieve. These elements of justice are embedded throughout the classroom, outdoors and within the wider community.
- Compassion encourages children to respect and care for themselves, each other and the environment. This ‘togetherness’ allows everyone to achieve their dreams through the support of others. All individuals have a voice and know that their views and opinions are valued.
- Having aspirational dreams as learners takes courage in order to believe they can achieve them. Staff foster a love and enjoyment of learning, ensuring children are more willing to break barriers and have the confidence to achieve. They are given support to question and search for answers. They provide a supportive, stimulating but challenging environment to enable all children to fulfill their potential.
Our distinctly Christian values make a positive difference to those around us and underpin our teaching and learning and daily life of the school and ethos of the USF. They are demonstrated through our collective worship, prayer, reflections and within many curriculum opportunities. We encourage full expression of children’s spiritual, moral and emotional growth, all set within a strong foundation of Christian practice. We recognise that in the modern world there are a variety of faiths and as a Christian school we actively support all learners from all backgrounds of faith or none. Our RE teaching is two thirds Christianity, this ensures all learners respect and tolerate the different beliefs and opinions of others.